Automations are like your magic helpers, who do your bidding while you work on more important matters. And what better way to start conjuring up such magic helpers than a magic cook book?
Moosend gives you a list of public Recipes that serve as starting points for your own automation designs. They don't require much tweaking, all you have to do is choose the one that fits your current needs and then customize it accordingly. You can modify, add or remove steps to transform each Recipe into the exact automation you want; you can also make your own Recipes!
Let's see how you can use one of the available recipes to cook your own automation:
A. Finding the ideal Recipe
1. Click on the Automations button, located on the left side of your Dashboard page.
2. Click on the Create new automation button, on the upper right side of your Automations Page.
You are now on the Select Automation Type page, where you'll find a selection of useful recipes to choose from as a starting point for your own automation design. Some of the most popular are:
- Abandoned cart
Sends an email campaign to anyone who abandons a product in their cart.
- New customer thank you email
Sends an email campaign to anyone who purchases a product.
- Special offer reminder
Sends an email campaign to anyone who browses a specific page for the first time.
- Welcome email sequence
Sends an email campaign to anyone who subscribes to one of your mailing lists for the first time.
3. Type-in the title or keyword of the recipe you're looking for on the Search for a workflow field.
Using the title of a recipe you know, or practical keywords like 'cart', 'purchase', 'unsubscribe', will help you discern between different types of automations.
4. Look at both the title of each recipe and the short description underneath it.
The title of each recipe is self-explanatory in most occasions, but even if you find that it doesn't help you much, the description underneath it will provide some insight on how the automation gets triggered and for which usage it is mostly suitable.
B. Working with a Recipe
1. Click on the Select button, located next to each recipe, to use it.
The recipe which you have chosen will now act as the basis for your new automation. Notice how your workflow contains the recipe's steps, which you can modify, remove, or add to exactly as you would when designing a new automation from scratch. Just make sure that you complete all the tasks contained in each step of the workflow to get your automation working.
2. Click on the Expand all tasks button.
The exact tasks that need to be completed for this automation to become operational are brought to your attention; until they are completed the automation will be indicated as Incomplete. From here you can see each remaining task, its status and the step to which it belongs.
3. Click on the Collapse all tasks button.
You don't need to complete the tasks unless you want to actually use the automation! Alternatively you can modify, remove or add to the current steps, and design your own recipe. It will appear alongside the other available recipes, to be used as the basis for your future automation designs.
4. Click on the Save as Recipe button as soon as you're done designing your new recipe.
A pop-up window appears.
5. Fill-in both the Recipe Name and Recipe Description fields, located on the pop-up window.
Make sure that you give your recipe a memorable name and a useful description, something that you'll easily remember when searching for it at a later date.
6. Click on the Save button, located on the pop-up window.
C. Editing or Deleting a Recipe
Your new recipe can be found among all the other available recipes on the Select Automation Type page. Apart from browsing through the available options, this page allows to also delete or edit the recipes that you've created so that you only keep the ones that you find useful.
1. Click on the X-shaped Delete button, located beside your own recipes.
You'll be prompted to decide whether you want to delete your recipe or not.
2. Click on the Cancel button to keep the recipe.
You can press on the OK button if you want to move ahead with the deletion.
3. Click on the pencil-shaped Edit button, located beside your recipe, to edit it.
By editing one of your recipes you can add, remove or edit its steps on your workflow as usual.