Moosend’s powerful list segmentation lets you drill deep down on the details and focus your campaign on the audience that creates the most impact. After all, segmentation is there to improve the efficiency of your email marketing campaigns, right?
To achieve improved campaign efficiency you need a vast list of options when setting your list segment's conditions! This way each segment you make can become a perfect representation of your email marketing strategy.
Target your audience based on information you've gathered about them in the form of custom fields (age, gender, size, interests) and then combine them with what Moosend tells you on how your mailing list members react to your newsletters (opens, clicks, etc). Filter your mailing list accordingly and send targeted campaigns the make a difference!
Here is a list of all the segmentation criteria Moosend offers:
- Date Added: Use this to fetch subscribers according to the date they were added to your mailing list. The second drop-down menu allows you to choose whether this date is / is not / is before / is after a specific date that you choose from the calendar available on the last field.
- Recipient Name: Fetching the people in your list with a particular name for a special name-day offering is as simple as choosing Recipient Name, then choosing whether this name is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with / is empty / is not empty, and on then on the final field writing down the name that you're aiming for.
- Recipient Email: Let’s assume you need to find all the email addresses from your group of recipients that contain a particular keyword. Just choose Recipient Email, on the next field choose whether this email is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with, and on the final field write down the email address characteristic that you're looking for.
- Campaigns Opened: Say you're looking for users from your list that have opened your newsletter any number of times or who have never opened any campaign during a specific period of time. This could be a good reason to send a special offering, or clean up your list from unwanted recipients! Choose Campaigns Opened, then in the next field choose whether this number of campaigns opened is / is not / is more than / is at least / is less than / is at most, then write the number of opens that you have in mind the next field provided. Additionally, you can choose the date on which this action happened, using either on any date or between and checking the relevant dates on the available calendars.
- Links Clicked: If you search for list members who have clicked on your newsletter links any specific number of times, or list members who have never clicked on any link during a specific period of time (could be a nice opportunity to send them a special offering or remove them from your list), choose Links Clicked, then choose whether the number of the campaigns opened is / is not / is more than / is at least / is less than / is at most, then write the appropriate number in the corresponding field. Additionally, you can choose the date on which this action happened, using either on any date or between and checking the relevant dates on the available calendars.
- Campaign Name: When you need to find list members whose action took place on a specific campaign, you could do this by defining the campaign's name. Choose Campaign Name, then choose whether the campaign name is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with. For the options is and is not you will then have to choose the name out of a list of campaigns. For all other options you must fill in the information of your choice.
- Link URL: If your recipients click on a specific URL in your newsletter, there's a high chance that they are interested in a specific offering. Choose Link URL, then choose whether this link is / is not and then choose from the links provided. The drop-down list has your most popular newsletter links at the top.
- Mobile vs Desktop: Let’s assume that you need to group recipients based on whether they open your campaigns through their mobile phone or their desktops. Choose Mobile vs Desktop, then whether this is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with. Options is and is not will have a drop-down menu as a third option where you choose between Mobile and Desktop. All other options require that you fill in the particular device you are trying to focus on.
- Operating System: You can filter users based on the operating system they are using. To do that choose Operating System, and whether the OS is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with. Using either is or is not on the second field means you'll have a list of operating systems in the drop-down list for you to choose from. Any other option means you'll need to fill-in the third field with the characteristics you're looking for.
- Email Client: Choosing Email Client means you narrow down the users according to the Email Client they are using to open your campaigns. Choose whether the email client is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with on the next field. When using is or is not the last field will contain all possible clients to choose from, with the most popular choices at the top. For any other option, the last field needs to filled with the characteristics you're looking for.
- Web Browser: Similar to the above choices, with Web Browser you'll be filtering recipients according to the web browser they are using. Choose whether the web browser is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with. Is or is not means you'll have a drop-down of all available browsers as a final field. Any other options measn you need to fill-in the final field with the characteristics you're looking for.
- Mobile Browser: You can filter your recipients based on the Mobile Browser they use to interact with your newsletters. Choose whether the mobile browser is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with. As before choosing that the browser either is or is not leads to a drop-down field with all the possible options. Any other option requires that you fill in the details.
- Subscribe Method: One interesting tool is to filter recipients according to the way they were added to your mailing lists. Choose Subscribe Method and whether it is / is not one of the following options:Subscription Form, File Import or Manually Added as they appear on the final drop-down menu.
- Campaign Sent: Let’s say you need to track those recipients that have received a certain campaign you've sent. This could be a nice method when you want to send a follow-up newsletter! Choose Campaign Sent, then choose whether this campaign either is / is not one of the campaigns available on the final drop-down menu. The most recent campaigns will be at the top of the list.
- Field from another mailing list: Let’s assume that you use multiple mailing lists, but not all of them contain the same information on your recipients. Using Field from another mailing list you can create a segment with information that exist in another list. Attributes can be used across lists! A new window will appear with the available options for segmentation filtering from other mailing lists.
- Custom Field: Available are the names of the custom fields you have set for your mailing list (email address is there by default). Select the Custom Field, then choose whether it is / is not / contains / does not contain / starts with / does not start with / ends with / does not end with / is empty / is not empty. In the next field fill in your preference (e.g. "Size is Medium").
Don't just limit yourself to just one of the above options: by Adding More Criteria, you can narrow your target audience and be as specific as you want. Experiment!
Check the number of the recipients contained in a segment with every criterion you add. You can always preview or export the segment to an Excel file, or just save it for later use. You're in charge.
Moosend's segments give you a complete overview and incredible power directly based on the habits of your newsletter subscribers. Here is where your campaign strategy becomes truly behavioural.