You create segments of your lists by defining your audience based on information that you have already gathered in the form of custom fields and user activity collected from your previous campaigns (e.g whether members of your list have opened a campaign, or how many and which clicks they have made).
Using List Segmentation you can filter down your mailing list, cater to what your subscribers are interested in, stay relevant and boost your newsletter's success.
You can start right here! Just follow the steps below:
A. Naming a new Segment
1. First click on the Mailing lists button located on the menu on the left side of your Control Panel page.
2. Click on the name of the Mailing list from which you want to create a segment.
3. Click on the Segments button on the vertical bar that appears.
4. Click on the Create New Segment button.
5. Give a name to your segment. Use something that will help you identify it easily!
B. Matching the Segment
Before you specify the Segmentation Criteria upon which your segment will be based, you must first choose whether it has to match:
- All of the criteria you set
- Any of the criteria you set
If you select Any of the criteria, the platform will bring forth the recipients that fulfill at least one of the criteria that you set in the steps that follow. If for instance your site promotes travelling, clothing and books, and you want to make a special offer to your subscribers who have shown an interest in buying either a book or a piece of clothing, by selecting Any in the Match Criteria field you will be working with the subscribers who are interested in clothing or books, but not necessarily both. Selecting All will set your segment on those who have showed an interest in both clothing and books, but not either.
Using the Fetch dropdown option you can also choose how many of your recipients should be contained in the segment you are creating. The options are:
- All the matching recipients
- Max number of recipients
- Max % percentage of recipients
Let us continue with a simple example. Let's say you want to create a segment with all the recipients who haven't opened a specific campaign you have sent. We start by choosing All in both drop-down menus.
C. Specifying the Segment criteria
1. Click on the Add More Criteria button.
2. Set the Criteria of your Segment.
You have three dropdown menus to work with:
- The first box lets you choose the type of criteria by which you will narrow down your target audience (e.g. Recipient’s Name, Email Address, Date they were Added, Campaigns they have Opened, Links they have Clicked, and other parameters which you can find in this list). Continuing with our example we select the Campaign Name option from the dropdown list.
- The second drop-down box helps you choose how the type of criteria you have chosen on the previous box narrows down your recipients (e.g. is, is not, is before, is after, contains, does not contain etc). It's like making a small sentence that describes what your Segment contains! For our example we will use the is not option as we want the users who have not opened the campaign.
- The third box defines the specific criteria that have to be fulfilled by the previous two boxes. The options available depend on your previous choices. If, like we said, you want those recipients who have not opened a specific campaign, you must now choose the name of the campaign from the drop-down menu.
3. Take a look at the Selected Recipients number to see how many recipients inside your list match your criteria. Clicking on this number helps you Preview the matching recipients.
You can also use the corresponding Preview recipients and Export recipients tabs at the bottom of the box.
4. Click on Add More Criteria if you need to narrow down your selection even more.
5. Click on the Save Segment button when you are happy with your segmentation.
D. Overview of the Segment
1. After you have saved your work you can review all the relevant information regarding your segment, like the Segment Name, the date it was Created On and all the Criteria Fields you used to define it.
2. Click on the pencil-shaped Edit button located under the Actions column to edit your segment.
E. Using your Segment
Now that your segment is ready to be targeted, you will be able to select it as the aim of one of your newsletters while in the process of creating a new campaign. When the time comes to define the recipients of the campaign, you will have the option to either select an entire list or any of its previously created segments.
You will also be able to create a new segment while creating a campaign, but it is highly suggested that you take advantage of segmentation before you start making a new campaign.
Finally, if you are eager to learn how valuable segmenting your list is, take a look at how you can increase your revenue with customer segmentation!