Properly setting up CNAMES for your hosting provider helps ensure that any changes required for your custom domain can be carried out with maximum efficiency and minimum disruption! Setting up a CNAME for your DreamHost provider is a fairly simple process.
Let's see how it's done!
1. Log in to your DreamHost account.
2. Click on the Domains link, located to the left of your screen. A drop-down menu appears.
3. Click on Manage Domains in the Domains drop-down menu. A new screen appears.
4. Find the custom domain you’ve purchased from DreamHost within the Manage Domains screen. Next, click on the DNS link located under your domain. A new screen appears.
5. Scroll down to the area entitled Add a custom DNS record to (your custom domain).
- In the Name field, type in the subdomain you wish to utilize for your site. If you would like to just use your naked domain, simply type in 'www'.
- In the Type drop-down menu, select the CNAME option.
- In the Value field, enter the URL of your Moosend login page.
If your site address is mydomain.com then your Moosend login page is mydomain.moosend.com. You have to add a CNAME record to your DNS for your domain, a subdomain similar to the newsletter.mydomain.com example. Whatever your CNAME record is, it will need to point to mydomain.moosend.com.
6. When you have filled in all the appropriate fields, click on the Add Record Now! button.
And that's it! You have now successfully added your CNAME record to your DreamHost domain. Please note that CNAME records may take a few days to propagate.