To tweak your Form element, click on the Settings icon to reveal the Form Element's settings on the left side of your Designer page.
A. Setting up the Form Element
You have the following options:
- Background Color
Select a background color for your Form out of a color palette. The default background color is transparent but you can choose any color from the huge range available to you!
- Form Width
Use the up/down arrows to specify the desired width of your Form. Alternatively, you can also type the desired number directly into the area next to the arrows.
- Form Type
Choose whether you want the Form type to be Normal or Inline from the drop-down menu.
- Form Align
Choose your Form's alignment from the drop-down menu. You have three alignment options: Left, Center and Right.
- Border Width
Use the up/down arrows to set your Form's border width. Alternatively, type the desired number directly into the area next to the arrows.
- Corner Radius
Use the up/down arrows in this option to choose how rounded you wish your Form's corners to be. Alternatively, type the appropriate value directly in into the area next to the arrows.
- Border Color
Select a color for your Form's border out of a color palette.
Use the Padding option to play with the distance of your Form from the top of the Container you have placed it in. You can do this either by using the up/down arrows or by typing the appropriate value directly into the area next to the arrows. Clicking on the lock icon reveals more Padding options; namely, Padding Top, Padding Bottom, Padding Left and Padding Right.
- On Submit
Use the drop-down menu to choose what happens when visitors subscribe to your mailing list.
Your choices are:
a) Display success/error message
You can use the pre-set message or type your own into the appropriate field. You can check the box next to the Preview message option to see how it will appear.
b) Redirect to page
Redirect subscribers to the landing page of your choice, by choosing it from the drop-down list.
Please note that in order to be able to select a landing page here, it has to be published.
c) Redirect to external URL
Fill in the URL that you would like visitors to be redirected to, in the appropriate field.
When redirecting visitors to a landing page or external Url, you have the option of checking the box next to the Pass Url parameters on form submit, if you would like to take advantage of this option.
- Select Mailing List
Use the drop-down menu to select the appropriate mailing list for your Form element.
Alternatively you can type your desired mailing list id in the designated field and then click on the + sign to fetch it for your Form Element.
Please note that if you make any changes to the selected mailing list's custom fields, the form will not be automatically updated to reflect these changes. To include any such changes, you will need to re-select the mailing list for the Form Element you have added to your landing page.
B. Editing the Custom Fields
You have the option of adding Custom Fields to your Form Element, if you so desire!
1. Click on the Edit Custom Fields button to the left of your Designer page when you are in the Form element settings.
2. Choose to show one or more of the available Custom Fields in the pop-up which appears, by toggling their respective sliders to the right.
3. Change-if you so desire- the placeholder text that will appear in the form for this specific field.
4. You may also, if you wish to, add a pre-filled value for this specific field. This means that even if the user does not type in a value when subscribing to the form, the pre-filled value will still be added.
Note that there is no default pre-filled value added in any of the fields; it must be added by you, if you wish to have one of course!
5. Click the asterisk to the right of each field, if you want to make it required for this form.
6. Click the eye icon to the right of each field to hide it from users. This means that this field is still enabled in your form, but hidden.
A good reason why you may want to do this, is to pass some field values by using URL parameters!
If you don't have any Custom Fields saved, or if you simply want something different, that's not a problem!
Note that any future changes to the settings of your mailing list or to the custom fields of your mailing list cannot be applied automatically to your form, as the designer creates the form based on your mailing list at the time you create the form. In order to apply your changes, you will need to re-select your mailing list in the form's settings inside the Form Designer.
7. To create a new Custom Field, click on the Create Custom Field button at the bottom left of the Edit Custom Fields pop-up, to create it then and there, and include it in your Form Element!
5. Fill in the necessary details.
You will have to add the following details:
Fill in the name that you want your new field to have.
- Data type
Select the data type of your new custom field from the drop-down menu. You can choose any of the options available: Text, Number, Date Time, Single-select Drop-down and Checkbox.
- Check the Required checkbox to specify whether you want this field to be obligatory when filling your subscription form.
- Check the Hidden checkbox to specify whether you want this field to appear when recipients updating their profile through the Update Profile link.
Note that the custom field you will create here, will also be created in the mailing list you selected to connect you form with!
C. Additional Editing Options
There are several more options within the Form Element Settings menu, allowing you to tweak your Form Element to your heart's content!
Click on each option to expand its menu. You have the following editing options to play with:
Clicking on the links above will provide you with all the necessary information you might need for each style, including some details which you might deem useful.