You create segments of your lists by defining your audience based on information that you have already gathered in the form of custom fields and user activity collected from your previous campaigns (e.g. whether members of your list have opened a campaign, or how many and which clicks they have made).
When using List Segmentation, you can filter down your email list, provide your subscribers with exactly what they are interested in, stay relevant and boost your newsletter's success.
You can start right here by following the steps below:
A. Creating a new Segment
1. At the top of your Dashboard page, hover your mouse over the Audience tab located at the top of your Dashboard page to reveal the drop-down menu and then click on the Segments option.
2. Once inside your Segment page, click on the New button at the right top corner and then on the Segment option.
3. On the pop-up window that appears, choose the email list in which you want to create a segment by the drop-down menu and then click on the Start button.
4. Click on the Create custom segment button.
5. Name your segment. Make sure to use something that will help you identify it easily!
B. Matching the Segment
Before you specify the Segmentation Criteria upon which your segment will be based, you must first choose whether it has to match:
- All of the criteria you set
- Any of the criteria you set
If you select Any of the criteria, the platform will bring forth the recipients that fulfill at least one of the criteria that you set in the steps that follow. If for instance your site promotes traveling, clothing and books, and you want to make a special offer to your subscribers who have shown an interest in buying either a book or a piece of clothing, by selecting Any in the Match Criteria field you will be working with the subscribers who are interested in clothing or books, but not necessarily both. Selecting All will adjust your segment on those who have shown an interest in both clothing and books, not either one.
By using the Fetch dropdown option, you can also select how many of your recipients should be contained in the segment you are creating. The options are:
- All the matching recipients
- Max number of recipients
- Max % percentage of recipients
Let us continue with a simple example. Let's say that you want to create a segment with all the recipients who haven't opened a specific campaign you have sent. You should start by choosing All in both drop-down menus.
C. Specifying the Segment criteria
1. By clicking on the Select a criteria drop-down menu in the Rules section, you can set the criteria of your Segment.
You have three dropdown menus to work with:
- The first box lets you choose the type of criteria by which you will narrow down your target audience (e.g. Member Name, Member Email, Date Added, Number of Campaigns Opened, Specific Link URL Clicked, and other parameters which you can find in this list). Continuing with our example we select the Specific Campaign Opened option from the dropdown list.
- The second drop-down box helps you choose how the type of criteria you have chosen on the previous box narrows down your recipients (e.g. is, is not, is before, is after, contains, does not contain, etc.). It's like making a small sentence that describes what your Segment contains. For our example we will use the is not option as we want the users who have not opened the campaign.
- The third box defines the specific criteria that have to be fulfilled by the previous two boxes. The options available depend on your previous choices. If, as we said, you want those recipients who have not opened a specific campaign, you must now choose the name of the campaign from the drop-down menu.
3. Take a look at the Selected Recipients number to see how many recipients inside your list match your criteria. Clicking on the Preview recipients button allows you to preview the matching recipients.
4. If you wish to export the list of recipients, you can also use the Export to CSV or Export to Excel option located on the three-dots menu on the right.
5. Click on Add Rule if you need to narrow down your selection even more.
6. Click on the Save Segment button when you are satisfied with your segmentation.
D. Overview of the Segment
1. After you have saved your work, you can review all the relevant information regarding your segments, like the Segment Name, the date it was Created On and all the criteria you used to define it under the Segment Name.
2. If you want to edit your segment, just click on its' name.
E. Exporting your Segment
After you have created your segment, you may want to export the list of recipients to a CSV/Excel.
1. If you wish to export the list of recipients, use the Export to CSV or Export to Excel option. Simply click on the export option that you prefer.
A notification message will appear on the top of your screen to let you know that your export request has been queued, specifying in which email you will receive the exported file. This will be your account's email, through which you will be notified when your file is ready to download.
2. Once you receive the email, click on the link which will prompt you to download your file. On the redirected page, you can download your file by clicking on the export icon.
F. Using your Segment
Now that your segment is ready to be targeted, you will be able to select it as the aim of one of your newsletters while in the process of creating a new campaign. When the time comes to define the recipients of the campaign, you will have the option to either select an entire list or any of its previously created segments.
You will also be able to create a new segment while creating a campaign, but it is highly suggested that you take advantage of segmentation before you start making a new campaign.
Finally, if you are eager to learn how valuable segmenting your list is, take a look at how you can increase your revenue with customer segmentation!