Moosend lets you use list segmentation to send targeted email marketing campaigns by defining a specific audience subset inside your email marketing lists. You can create segments of your audience based on information collected from custom fields and user activity collected from your previous campaigns. For example, whether members of your list have opened a campaign, how many, and which clicks they have made. Segments thus allows you to filter your email list based on their interests.
Note: To know more about the value of list segmentation in increasing your revenue, see customer segmentation.
A. Create a segment
1. At the top of your Moosend page, hover your mouse over the Audience tab and then click Segments.
2. Click New and then click Segment.
3. On the Choose email list dialog, select the email where you want to create a segment and then click Start.
4. Select one of the options in Segment templates or click Create custom segment to define your own segment.
5. In the Segment name field, enter the name of your new segment. Make sure to use something that makes it easy to identify your segment and corresponding target audience.
B. Match segment to your contacts
Before you specify the rules in your Segmentation Criteria, you must first choose which of your subscribers has to match the criteria you set.
1. In the Fetch field, in the first drop-down list, click one of the following options to select how many of your subscribers are included in your segment:
- All - selects all the matching subscribers
- Max number - selects a maximum number of subscribers
- Max % - selects a maximum percentage of subscribers
2. In the second drop-down list, click one of the following to match your contacts:
- All - fetches subscribers that match all the segmentation criteria that you set.
- Any - fetches subscribers that match at least one of the segmentation criteria that you set
Example 1: If you want to create a segment for subscribers who are interested in books or clothing, you can select Any. The segment then fetches subscribers who are interested in books OR clothing, but not necessarily both. If you select All, the segment fetches only those interested in both books AND clothing.
C. Specify the segment criteria
1. To set criteria for your segment, go to the Rules fields.
2. Define your rules by selecting items in the three drop-down lists:
- In the first drop-down list, select the type of criteria to specify how you want to narrow down your target audience. For example, Member Name, Member Email, Date Added, Number of Campaigns Opened, Specific Link URL Clicked, and so on.
- In the second drop-down list, select the criteria method to determine what it should do. For example, is, is not, is before, is after, contains, does not contain, and so on.
- In the third drop-down list, select the actual rule to process. The options depend on the choices you made in the two previous drop-down lists.
3. In the top-right corner, in Selected members, you can view the number of subscribers that match the segment. You can also click Preview members, to preview the list of subscribers that match your segment.
4. To access additional options for your segment, click . You have the following options:
- Save as template - lets you save the segment if you want to reuse it in a different list.
- Copy segment to another list - lets you copy the entire segment, including all its criteria and apply it to another email list.
- Copy members to another list - lets you copy matching subscribers in your segment to another email list.
- Delete - deletes the segment, including all its criteria.
5. To add more rules to narrow down your segment, click Add rule.
6. Click Save segment.
Example 2: When creating your segment and criteria, it is as if you are creating a sentence that describes what your segment contains. For example, if you want to create a segment for all of your subscribers who have not opened a specific campaign, say Campaign A, your segment criteria fields would look like this:
D. Overview of the Segment
1. To access your saved segments, at the top of your Moosend page, hover your mouse over the Audience tab and then click Segments. A list of all saved segments are displayed with information like the Segment Name, the date it was Created On and all the rule or criteria you used to define it under the Segment Name.
2. To edit your segment, click the name.
E. Exporting your Segment
After you have created your segment, you may want to export the list of subscribers to an Excel/CSV file.
1. Open your segment and click . You have the following options:
- Export to CSV - exports the list of subscribers in your segment as a CSV file to use outside our platform.
- Export to Excel - exports the list of subscribers in your segment as an Excel file to use outside our platform.
A notification message appears to inform you that your export request has been queued for sending to your account email.
2. When you receive the email, click the download link and on the redirected page, click the export icon.
F. Using your Segment
When you are ready to send your campaign, you can use your saved segments to target the audience of your campaign.
1. During the process of creating a new campaign, in the Choose email step, select the email list containing the segment you want to use for the campaign.
Note: While you can create a new segment during the campaign creation process, we recommend that you create your segments before you create any new campaigns.
2. Click the number in the Segments column to expand the email list and show the segments created. You have the option select the entire list or any of its previously created segments.