To sign up for a email list, subscribers normally fill out Email, Name, and Mobile fields. Sometimes, you might want to add fields to receive more information about your subscribers. For example, to use the recipient's date of birth in your email marketing.
You can use custom fields in your email lists as personalization tags inside your email campaigns and as criteria by which you can segment your email list using the data you collect from custom fields, such as subscriber's age and location.
To create a custom field in an email list:
- In the top navigation bar, hover your mouse over the Audience tab, and then click Email lists.
- Click the name of the email list you want to add new custom fields to.
- In the menu, click Create custom fields.Note: In the Create custom fields page, there is a table with all the custom fields already available for this list. The Email, Name, and Mobile fields are displayed by default. You can also see the personalization tag of each field (e.g. #recipient:email# for the Email field).
- Click Add new custom field.
- On the New custom field page, fill out the following fields:
- Field name - enter the name of your custom field.
- Data type - from the drop-down list, select one of the following:
- Text - your custom field is a text. This data type can be very useful when you want to place your subscriber's first name, surname, location, and so on inside your email marketing campaign.
- Date - your custom field is a date. For example, the date of a subscription, an anniversary, a subscriber's birthday.
- Number - your custom field is a numeric value. For example, when you want to count the number of times a subscriber clicked a link or the number of times your customers have purchased a product from your site.
- Single Select Dropdown - your custom field if you are asking your subscribers to choose one option from a drop-down list.
- Checkbox - a custom field that requires subscribers to select Yes or No.
- Default fallback value - enter the value that appears when the recipient leaves the custom field empty. If you have added a fallback value in your subject line or within your email campaign, that one is used instead.
- Custom field is required - specify whether you want this field to be obligatory when signing up.
- Custom field is hidden - specify whether you want this field to appear when recipients update their profile through the Update Profile link.
- Click Save custom field to create the custom field and add it your email list.
- To delete any custom field you have created, you can delete it by clicking in the last column of that custom field, then clicking Delete.