Custom fields are useful to filter information about your contacts (their location, their gender etc.) to segment your email lists and create targeted campaigns. In some cases though, some recipients are unable to fill out the custom fields you have created. You have the option to add a default fallback value to make sure that the custom field value is filled out even if the user missed or skipped it.
To add a default fallback value:
- In the top navigation bar, hover your mouse over the Audience tab, and then click Email lists.
- Click the name of the email list that has the custom field you want to add a default fallback value to.
- In the menu on the left, click Create custom fields.
- Click the name of the custom field, to which you would like to add a default fallback value.
- In the Default fallback value field, enter your preferred fallback value for the custom field.Example:
After setting up a default fallback value, users with a value in the Customer custom field of the email list selected can see their nickname displayed. Users that do not have a value in the Customer field see the fallback value friend instead.
- Click Save to apply the changes.
Important: If you have added a fallback value in your subject line during campaign creation or within your email campaign, that value is used instead of the default value added in your custom field.