Moosend offers access to a direct Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service that you can integrate with your existing applications, or utilize to send transactional emails directly using your own SMTP client. To take advantage of our SMTP service, you need to connect your account in our platform to an application or SMTP client of your preference.
Note: When you first create your account, the SMTP setting is disabled, so all new users must first enable it in account settings. In addition, this setting is not available for free accounts.
A. Find the Direct SMTP tab
- In the top navigation bar, click and click Settings.
- In the menu on the left, click Direct SMTP.
- In the Direct SMTP section, you can find all the details you need in order to connect to our SMTP service:
- SMTP hostname - the Hostname that you use to connect to our standard SMTP service.
- SMTP port - the SMTP port that you use to connect to the standard Sitecore Send SMTP service. You can use ports 25, 587, 25000, or 465. Ports 465 and 587 support TLS encryption.
Note: We recommend you to use port 25 or 587 which are the standard SMTP ports.
- SMTP username - the username you use to log in to your account. If you use a subaccount, you must provide your domain in our platform in the username as well. For example, if your domain name is myaccount.moosend.com, your SMTP username should be myaccount\username
- SMTP Password - the password you use to log in to your account.
Note: If you are using a sub-account, you must first create a password for your sub-account.
B. Enable SMTP
- Toggle the Use SMTP switch to On.
Note: If you have already sent email campaigns using our SMTP service in the last 12 months, the platform ensures that you have the SMTP setting enabled.
- To disable the SMTP, toggle the Use SMTP switch to Off.
Note: The switch is set to Off if you are a new user or using a free account. When you upgrade your subscription plan, you can go back to this switch to enable the SMTP setting.
- After enabling direct SMTP for your account, you can use our SMTP service to connect with your application or SMTP client. You must fill out your credentials for your user authentication and add the configuration details in the Direct SMTP tab. If the SMTP setting is disabled, our platform informs you about the UI error that occurred by displaying a pop-up message on the page you land on after authentication.
C. Select the recipients of your SMTP campaign
You can use our standard SMTP to send your campaigns to a single email address or to an email list on our platform.
To send your transactional campaign to a single email address:
- Create the content of your SMTP campaign.
- Send the campaign to the single email address.
When your SMTP campaign is sent, a new email list is created under the name "Transactional Campaign Recipients" on your account, and every time you send a campaign to a single email address, the recipients are added to the same mailing list.
- If you prefer your to add recipients to a specific email list, you must add the appropriate GUID to the headers of the email: mailing_list_id: your-mailing-list-id-here. This allows you to add all the recipients using the same email list ID.
To send your transactional campaign to an email list on our platform:
- Make sure that you have already imported the members to your email list.
- Create the content of your SMTP campaign.
- Send the campaign to email@example.com, where mailing_list_id is the mailing list ID of your selected email list. For example, if your email list ID is 6d2849086-f535-48aa-bf77-542b0d8da338, you can send the campaign to firstname.lastname@example.org.
D. Track SMTP campaigns
You can use the reporting and analytics in Moosend to monitor the performance of your transactional campaign sent via SMTP service.
To track your transactional campaigns and recipients:
- In the top navigation bar, click Campaigns.
- On the Campaigns page, click the campaign with the name Transactional Campaign. The Performance Overview page is displayed. You can click the other tabs in the menu on the left to get more details about your campaign.
- To view your transactional message recipients, in the top navigation bar, click Audience.
- On the Email lists page, click the list with the name Transactional Campaign Recipients. Your Dashboard page is displayed by default showing different statistics about the list.
To track statistics with a different campaign:
- Create the campaign on the platform with the same subject as your transactional email. When a campaign subject matches the subject of the transactional email, all opens and clicks are registered to this campaign, and any new members are added to the email list that is connected to the campaign.
Tip: Alternatively, you can specify which campaign tracks your transactional emails using email headers, which are extra information passed to the email message and can usually be added only by code.
- Adding the following GUID on the headers of the email sends all statistics to that campaign: campaign_guid: your-campaign-id-here. This is the ID of your campaign of which the statistics are to be recorded for every transactional email sent through our SMTP service.
- To store the recipients of transactional emails to a specific email list, you can add the following GUID on the headers: mailing_list_id: your-mailing-list-id-here. This allows all recipients to be added using the same email list ID.