It is important to properly set up CNAMEs for your hosting provider to ensure that any changes required for your custom domain can be carried out with maximum efficiency and minimum disruption.
Below are procedures on setting up a CNAME for the most commonly used providers:
- Google Domains
- Network Solutions
- 1and1 Web
However, if your domain provider is not included in the list, you can refer to the following general instructions.
To set up a CNAME:
- Log in to your domain provider account.
- Navigate to the DNS management page.
- Locate the section for CNAME records, or similar.
- Create a new CNAME record for your subdomain. For example:
- If you selected "newsletter.mydomain.com" as your custom domain, create the record for "newsletter".
- If you're using the root domain "www.mydomain.com" create the record for "www".
- Save the changes you made.
Tip: It might take 48 hours to propagate the CNAME changes you've made.