There are several types of Actions available to choose from when designing an automation workflow. The "Then set custom field value" type can be used to set the value inside a Custom Field using automation.
It is important to remember that changes on your Email lists and/or your Custom Fields may affect your automation when using this type of action, so make sure that you take this under consideration when you make such changes.
Start by setting up the Trigger which will be setting your automation in motion, and then add the Action of your choice by following the steps below:
1. In the example used below, the "When someone subscribes to any list" trigger has been selected. After you have set the Trigger of your choice, click on the + button, located at every intersection on your workflow.
A pop-up window appears.
2. Choose the Actions tab, on the pop-up that appears.
3. Tap on the Then set custom field value action to add it to your workflow.
B. Setting up the Action
1. Select which custom field you want to set to a new value.
Notice that beside each available custom field, the name of the list where it belongs is indicated in brackets. If a subscriber triggers your automation, even though they are not subscribed on that particular email list to which the custom field belongs, then they will be added to that list automatically.
2. Set the value to which you want the custom field to change.
3. Select if the member will be created, in case it does not already exist in that email list.
You have three options:
- Yes - Create the member if it does not exist
- Yes - Create the member if it does not exist as verified, I have consent from an external source
- No - Do not create a new member
4. Click on the Save button.
Your Action step will be ready and waiting inside your workflow.
If the currently available Custom Fields aren't what you are looking for, you can always set up your own Custom Fields and then add them to your Action as you see fit. Also, make sure that you explore the highly useful Conditional / Control steps which will help you design the automation workflow that best fits your needs.